What You Can Put in a Dishwasher
Most items are dishwasher-safe these days, but to be totally on top of things, take a look at our short guide to sparkling dishes, or check with the manufacturer of the items you are washing.
Most ordinary glass and ovenware can be used in the dishwasher. Lead crystal though, shouldn't be used in the dishwasher unless it's specifically labeled "dishwasher-safe".
Tip: Hand-painted or decorated glassware is not recommended for automatic dishwashing.
Most everyday dishware is dishwasher-safe. Fine bone china usually has decoration under the glaze and should be safe in your dishwasher. If you are in any doubt about your dishes, please check if the item is labelled "dishwasher-safe" or check with the manufacturer.
Tip: Antique or hand-painted china should be washed by hand.
Stainless steel and silver cutlery generally wash well in the dishwasher but the following precautions should be taken:
- Rinse off acidic foods like salad dressing or fruit and salt before loading as direct and prolonged contact can tarnish your cutlery.
- When loading the cutlery basket, avoid over packing your items to allow the water to rinse all surfaces. This ensures each piece is properly washed, rinsed and dried.
- Avoid spilling dishwashing detergent directly onto your cutlery as this can cause corrosion.
- Remove cutlery at the end of the cycle to avoid it being left in a humid atmosphere which could cause corrosion/rusting. This is particularly the case for silverware.
- Don't mix silver and stainless steel in the same basket as this can cause tarnishing and rust spots.
- Items with wooden or bone handles should not be put in the dishwasher.
- Old items may have handles attached with glue - these items should be washed by hand.
Only plastics that are guaranteed dishwasher-safe should be washed in a dishwasher.
Stainless steel pans are excellent for machine washing. Pans with wooden handles are best washed by hand.
For pans containing aluminium check with the manufacturer as not all are recommended for automatic dishwashing.